A mass murderer leaves eight women dead

A mass murderer leaves eight women dead

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

On the night of July 14, 1966, eight student nurses are brutally murdered by Richard Speck at their group residence in Chicago, Illinois. Speck threatened the women with both a gun and a knife, tying each of them up while robbing their townhouse. Over the next several hours, Speck stabbed and strangled each of the young women throughout various rooms of the place. One young woman, Corazon Amurao, managed to escape with her life by hiding under a bed; Speck had lost count of his victims.

Richard Speck was an alcoholic and a petty criminal with over 20 arrests on his record by the age of 25. He had “Born to Raise Hell” tattooed on his forearm and periodically worked on cargo boats traveling the Great Lakes. On the night of July 13, after drinking heavily at several Chicago bars, Speck broke into the townhouse for student nurses of the South Chicago Community Hospital.

Speck then used his gun to force three nurses into a bedroom, where he found three more women. Using nautical knots, he then tied the women’s hands and feet with strips torn from bedsheets. By midnight, three more nurses had come home only to be tied up as well. Speck assured the women that he was only going to rob them.

After stealing from the women, he took them into separate rooms, killing them one by one. The remaining women heard only muffled screams from their roommates. Amurao, who was hiding under her bed, waited until 6 a.m. the following day before leaving her hiding place. She then crawled out onto a second-story ledge and screamed for help. Police responding to the cries obtained a detailed description of Speck from Amurao; the sketch was placed on the front page of every local newspaper the next morning. Speck, who was hiding out at a dollar-a-night hotel, slashed his right wrist and left elbow in a suicide attempt on July 16.

Speck was arrested the next day at the Cook County Hospital. With Amurao’s identification and his fingerprints left at the scene, Speck was convicted and sentenced to death. However, in 1972, when the Supreme Court invalidated the death penalty law under which he was sentenced, Speck was re-sentenced to 400 years in prison. He died in prison of a heart attack on December 5, 1991.

8 Sensational Female Murderers from History

When someone tells you that female murderers are rare, keep in mind that means “relatively” rare, as in less common than male murderers. It also means that women who are found to be killers can become quite famous for it, as the media sensationalizes their crimes. A hundred years later, these cases may be mostly forgotten, but the stories are still there for those who want to learn about them. Be warned that these tales are disturbing.

1. Marie Manning

Marie de Roux Manning was born in Switzerland in 1821 and immigrated to England as a domestic servant in 1846. She became involved with Patrick O'Connor, a wealthy Irishman, and Frederick Manning, a railroad worker and suspected thief. Both proposed to Marie. She considered which would make a better husband: O’Connor was 50 years old, but also a customs agent with investments. Manning was Marie’s age, and told her he would soon inherit wealth. Marie married Manning, but retained a “friendship” with O’Connor, which was most likely sexual. It wasn’t long before she figured out that Manning’s expected inheritance was fictional. The couple invited O’Connor to dinner on August 8, 1849. O’Connor showed up with a friend, which disappointed the couple and thwarted their plans. Marie invited him back the next evening, but asked O’Connor to come alone, hinting at intimacy. During his visit on the 9th, Marie shot him in the back of the head, which did not kill him, so Frederick finished him off with a crowbar. The couple buried their victim under the kitchen floor tiles, where they had dug a hole ahead of time, and added quicklime to speed decomposition. Over the next two days, Marie cleaned out what valuables, cash, and stock certificates she could find at O’Connor’s home.

But O’Connor had mentioned his plans to friends. After they came to inquire about O'Connor's whereabouts, Marie panicked. She sent Frederick to try to sell their furniture so they could flee. While he was gone, she did just that, leaving her husband behind. She went to Edinburgh, Scotland, while Frederick went to Jersey. The police soon uncovered O’Connor’s remains. Marie was arrested when she tried to sell some of O’Connor’s stock certificates, and Frederick Manning was turned in by an acquaintance. Both blamed the other during the trial, but both were found guilty and sentenced to death.

The scandalous crime (which was termed the “Bermondsey Horror”) drew much interest. Between 30,000 and 50,000 people attended the double hanging on November 13th, 1849. Charles Dickens was there, and wrote about the execution and his disgust at the festive nature of the crowd. Some excerpts:

"I was a witness of the execution at Horsemonger Lane this morning" "I believe that the a sight so inconceivably awful as the wickedness and levity of the crowd collected at that execution this morning." "When the two miserable creatures who attracted all this ghastly sight about them were turned quivering into the air there was no more emotion, no more pity, no more thought that two immortal souls had gone to judgement, than if the name of Christ had never been heard in this world."

Dickens’ writing on the matter was in part responsible (along with those of other influential Englishmen) for the abolition of public hangings in England by 1868.

2. Constance Kent

Four-year-old Francis "Saville" Kent went missing from his home in Road, Wiltshire, England, on the night of June 29, 1860. His body was later found in an outhouse, his throat slashed. At first, the child's nursemaid Elizabeth Gough was suspected of the murder, but then his sixteen-year-old half-sister Constance Kent was arrested. She did not go to trial, however, and was released. The family moved away and Constance was sent to school in France.

Five years later, Constance Kent confessed to the murder during confession with a priest. She turned herself in to law enforcement and pled guilty to the murder. Her original death sentence was commuted to life in prison due to her age at the time of the crime. But was she really guilty or covering up for someone? There was speculation that the father, Samuel Kent, had killed the child for some reason to do with his known tendency to adultery. Others looked to Constance’s brother, William Saville-Kent, as the perpetrator, and some thought the two teenagers committed murder together out of jealousy over their stepmother (who was once their governess) and her children. Constance Kent was released from prison after 20 years in 1885, and lived to be 100. The dramatic murder investigation was covered extensively in British newspapers, and the news inspired stories by both Charles Dickens and Arthur Conan Doyle, as well as other writers. It also provoked Parliament to take up the question of whether priests can refuse to answer questions about sacramental confessions.

3. Belle Gunness

Brynhild Paulsdatter Størseth was born in Norway and came to the US in 1881. Later known as Belle Gunness, she married Mads Albert Sorenson in 1884. The couple produced four children, two of whom died in infancy, but were fortunately covered by life insurance. During the marriage, both a home and a business burned down and insurance was paid out. Sorenson died on July 30, 1900, coincidentally the one day that two of his life insurance policies overlapped.

Belle married Peter Gunness in 1902. He already had two daughters, one an infant who died while under his new wife's care. Gunness himself died in December of 1902 when a heavy machine fell on him. Gunness' death was investigated, but Belle was not charged -possibly because she was pregnant. Soon after, her adopted daughter Jennie Olsen, who was questioned over remarks she had made about Peter Gunness' death, disappeared completely. Gunness began corresponding with men through a lonely hearts club. She invited suitors to visit her and bring money. John Moe, Ole B. Budsburg, and Andrew Helgelien were among the many men who came to visit Gunness and brought money to help the poor widow with her mortgage, and were never seen again. She became suspicious that her hired hand, Ray Lamphere, would rat her out, so Gunness fired him and reported that he threatened her.

In 1908, the Gunness home burned down. Four bodies were found under the piano: three of Gunness' children and the headless body of a woman whose measurements did not match Gunness. However, dentures found in the ashes were hers, and the coroner pronounced Belle Gunness to be dead. As the property was cleared, depressions in the ground raised suspicions. Digging revealed the body of Jennie Olsen. The bodies of six suitors and two children were also found. Many other possible victims were reported to the police by concerned relatives. The hired man Ray Lamphere was convicted of arson and died in prison, but not before he revealed details of his days with Gunness. He had told a minister how Belle would kill her victims with strychnine or a meat cleaver, then dismember their bodies before Lamphere buried them. The fate of Gunness has never been positively determined. She had withdrawn her money from the bank before the fire. The identity of the headless woman has also never been determined.

4. Dagmar Overbye

Dagmar Overbye ran a foundling center in Copenhagen from 1916 to 1920. It was supposedly a place where unmarried mothers could take their infants to be adopted, although they had to pay a fee for the infant to be accepted. The unsavory business of hiding the scandals of others was something few talked about, and Overbye operated under the radar for several years. It is unclear how well records of the babies she took in were kept, if at all. The parents who paid Overbye to take care of matters rarely even spoke of it, much less went back to check on their babies. One woman finally did.

Karoline Aagesen placed her newborn daughter with Overbye in 1920 and immediately regretted her decision. Aagesen went back to retrieve her child the next day, but Overbye told her the baby had already been adopted, by a couple whose address she couldn’t recall. Aagesen went to the police, who investigated Overbye and the “adoption agency” she ran out of her apartment. They found baby clothes and charred bones in the stove. Overbye was arrested and confessed to killing either 16 or 20 babies (reports vary). However, from the evidence found, she was convicted of only nine murders. The babies had been strangled, drowned, or burned, and some bodies were found in her loft and buried underground in addition to the evidence from the stove. More parents came forward after Overbye’s arrest, and estimates of the number of infants she may have killed range from 29 to 180. It is believed that the first child Overbye killed was her own, born a few years before she opened her baby business. She was sentenced to death in 1921, which was commuted to life, and she died in prison in 1929.

5. Jane Toppan

Boston nurse Jane Toppan admitted to first eleven murders, then later to 31. Despite recklessness with drugs, unusually high patient deaths, and charges of theft, she managed to find employment over and over again in Massachusetts between 1885 and 1901. In 1901, Toppan moved in with the Davis family after the death of their elderly mother she had been caring for. Within a short time, the father and two daughters were dead. She also killed her foster sister, before an investigation—which found the victims to be poisoned—led to her arrest. Toppan was found not guilty by reason of insanity, and was held in a mental institution for the rest of her life. Toppan was said to have been proud of the killings.

6. Mary Ann Cotton

Mary Ann Cotton had three husbands and twelve children who died of ambiguous gastric illnesses between 1852 and 1872. The third of her four husbands survived, and her 13th and last child was born as she awaited trial. Several stepchildren and lovers also died of the same symptoms, but Cotton avoided suspicion by constantly moving to different towns around England.

The first sign of trouble for Cotton came in 1872 when she predicted the death of her 10-year-old stepson Charles Edward Cotton to an official who was asked to find the boy employment, even though the child appeared healthy. The official happened to also be the parish coroner. When Charles Edward died suddenly a few days later, Cotton's first errand was to collect on his life insurance. Told that she needed a death certificate, Cotton went to the child's doctor, who refused to sign because the coroner had alerted police about the conversation he'd had with Cotton. Besides, the doctor had seen the child only the day before and noticed no illness. An examination of the body found evidence of arsenic. Two other bodies from the family were exhumed and were also found to contain arsenic. Mary Ann Cotton was found guilty of the death of her stepson and was promptly hanged. Her widely-publicized story was made into a nursery rhyme.

Mary Ann Cotton,
She's dead and she's rotten
She lies in her bed,
With her eyes wide open
Sing, sing, oh, what can I sing,
Mary Ann Cotton is tied up with string
Where, where? Up in the air
Sellin' black puddens a penny a pair.

7. Amelia Dyer

Amelia Dyer was a trained nurse from Bristol, England, who turned to “baby farming” for a living after the 1869 death of her husband when she was 32. Like Dagmar Overbye, she “took care” of infants born to unmarried women, with the added service of taking in and hiding the mother in the later stages of pregnancy -for a fee. Baby farms flourished in Victorian times. Some would care for children and get them adopted out, others would neglect babies or dose them with opium to make their care easier, leading to many deaths. Dyer accelerated this process by murdering infants, usually by strangling them with a ribbon around their necks. She operated a baby farm for ten years before a doctor, suspicious of the number of dead babies he certified, contacted police. Dyer was arrested, convicted only of neglect, and sentenced to six months labor. After her sentence was completed, Dyer spent some time in a mental asylum, and eventually went back to baby farming. This time around, she dispensed with obtaining death certificates from doctors and buried the infants herself. Dyer moved from town to town, changing her name when parents or officials became suspicious.

In March of 1896, a bargeman retrieved a package from the Thames containing a tiny female corpse. Police traced the packaging to Dyer under an assumed name. When police raided her home, they found no human remains, but the smell of decomposition was in the air. They did find evidence of her business: baby clothes, telegrams, advertisements, and letters from mothers. Six more infant bodies were found when the river was dredged. Dyer was charged with one murder, that of Doris Marmon, after the baby’s mother, Evelina Marmon, identified the remains. Dyer pled guilty, but offered a defense of insanity. A jury sentenced her to death, and Dyer was hanged on June 10, 1896. Although convicted of only one murder, Amelia Dyer is suspected of up to 400 infant deaths over a period of 27 years.

8. Tillie Klimek

Chicago resident Tillie Klimek was a psychic. She began predicting the deaths of neighborhood dogs in 1911 with startling accuracy. In 1914 she predicted the death of her husband of 29 years, John Mitkiewitz. Astonishingly, Mitkiewitz died three weeks later! Klimek collected his life insurance money and went to a matchmaker. Her second husband John Ruskowski died only three months later, just as Klimek predicted. The same thing happened to husband number three, Joe Guszkowski. Husband number four, Frank Kupczyk lasted four years. Klimek also foresaw the death of a neighbor woman who raised suspicions about Klimek's husbands. Klimek predicted the deaths of three children belonging to a family she had trouble with as well -and sure enough, the children all died. Husband Kupczyk died in 1920.

The widow was remarried to Anton Klimek, husband number five, in 1921. Soon after a new life insurance policy went into effect, family members visited the Klimek home and found Anton sick in bed. When his stomach was pumped, the food Klimek has eaten was found to contain arsenic. Tillie was arrested and confessed to the attempted murder of Anton Klimek. She was sentenced to life imprisonment, and the deaths of her other suspected victims were not investigated. Her sentence carried the stipulation that Klimek was never to be allowed to cook for other prison inmates.

Federal agents on Wednesday joined the investigations into shootings at three Atlanta-area spas that left eight people dead Tuesday evening.

The attacks began around 5 p.m., when four people were killed in Acworth, a suburb north of Atlanta, authorities said. Less than an hour later, four women were killed in two shootings in Atlanta. The victims in Atlanta appeared to be Asian women, as were two of the victims in Acworth, officials said.

Authorities arrested a suspect, Robert Aaron Long, 21, of Woodstock, after a brief manhunt, Cherokee County sheriff's Capt. Jay Baker said. Investigators were working to confirm that the shootings were related.

The FBI was "assisting the local investigations," the agency said early Wednesday. No other details were released about FBI's involvement.

The Atlanta Police Department scheduled a 10:30 a.m. press conference to discuss the case.

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said in a statement that "a crime against any community is a crime against us all."

"I commend law enforcement for their quick work in arresting a suspect in the tragic shootings," she said. "I have remained in close contact with the White House and APD as they work with federal, state and local partners to investigate the suspect who is responsible for this senseless violence in our city."

White House press secretary Jen Psaki said President Joe Biden was briefed "overnight about the horrific shootings in Atlanta."

"White House officials have been in touch with the mayor’s office and will remain in touch with the FBI," Psaki said.

South Korea’s foreign ministry told NBC News that four of the women who died were of Korean origin, but their nationalities have yet to be verified.

Authorities did not provide additional details or identifying information about the other victims. Nor did they disclose a suspected motive.

"We are in the very early stages of this," Atlanta police Chief Rodney Bryant said.

Baker said Cherokee County deputies discovered two people dead and three others wounded at the massage parlor in Acworth. The injured were taken to a hospital, where two of them died, he said.

About 45 minutes later and 30 miles away, police in Atlanta responded to a report of a robbery on Piedmont Road in the northeast part of the city.

Officials discovered three women dead from apparent gunshot wounds, and while on the scene, received a call of shots fired across the street, where a woman was found dead inside that business, Atlanta police said.

Bryant described one location as a spa, and another as an aromatherapy spa.

After the Acworth shooting, the sheriff's office released photos of a suspect.

Long was arrested in Crisp County, about 125 miles south of Atlanta, officials said.

His vehicle was spotted southbound on I-75, and a Georgia State Patrol trooper used a PIT maneuver, in which a police car is used to physically stop another vehicle, the Crisp County Sheriff's Office said.

The killings come amid a growing number of anti-Asian hate incidents. Research released through Stop AAPI Hate on Tuesday revealed that nearly 3,800 incidents were reported over the course of roughly a year during the pandemic and that a disproportionate number of attacks were directed at women.

During a visit to South Korea this week, Secretary of State Antony Blinken addressed the shootings, and said that this type of violence had no place in America or anywhere.

"We will stand up for the right of our fellow Americans and Korean Americans to be safe and to be treated with dignity," he said.

San Jose shooting leaves 9 dead, deceased suspect identified victims shot in separate buildings

Calif. police give update on deadly San Jose rail yard shooting

The eight people initially killed by a gunman at a Northern California rail yard Wednesday morning were shot in two separate buildings before the suspected shooter took his own life, authorities said Wednesday.

A ninth victim died in a hospital late Wednesday evening, authorities said.

Santa Clara Sheriff Laurie Smith expressed her grief for the families of the victims before praising the quick response of law enforcement officers who went into a Valley Transportation Authority building as the active shooting was happening. She said deputies and San Jose police officers were the first on the scene.

"They took their life [sic] in their hands and I know for sure that when the suspect knew that law enforcement was there, he took his own life," she said. "Our deputies were right there at that time."

Santa Clara Sheriff's deputies responded to the massive VTA facility after receiving reports of shots fired around 6:30 a.m., sheriff’s spokesman Deputy Russell Davis told reporters at an afternoon news conference. Authorities arrived within minutes of the reports.

Authorities are still working to identify the victims. One person was taken to a hospital in critical condition but died Wednesday evening.

One of the victims was identified by his family as 64-year-old Lars Lane. His family told FOX affiliate KTXL-TV in Sacramento that he was a husband, father and grandfather.

The suspect was identified Wednesday as Samuel Cassidy, 57, who was a VTA employee, officials said. No motive is known for the shooting at this time.

An ex-girlfriend told the San Francisco Chronicle he was prone to alcohol-fueled mood swings and had been accused in a March 2009 court filing of rape and abuse. The documents were filed in response to a domestic violence restraining order that Cassidy had filed earlier that month.

The former girlfriend alleged his mood swings worsened when he drank alcohol and that he played "several mind games which he seems to enjoy." She listed several incidents of alleged sexual assault in which he would hold her arms and force his weight onto her.

He would apologize and promised to never do it again afterward, the report said.

The shooting took place at a light rail facility that is next door to the sheriff’s department headquarters and across a freeway from the airport. The facility is a transit control center that stores trains and has a maintenance yard. It's also located just two blocks from county buildings, the main jail and a courthouse.

Davis said deputies did not exchange gunfire with the suspect, leading investigators to assume he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was not sure what kind of weapon was used. He said authorities received reports of explosive devices inside a building at the VTA control center.

In a Tuesday evening news release, the sheriff's office said explosive ordinance detection K-9s found several "possible suspicious devices" on the VTA property. The Sheriff's bomb squad unit responded and rendered the scene safe.

A bomb squad responded to the scene but there was no danger to the community, Davis said. Processing the crime scene could take several days.

An investigation is also underway of an arson fire at what is believed to be the nearby home of the suspect. FBI agents and the San Jose Fire Department were at the second scene. Authorities say the house caught fire before the shooting.

Special agents from the FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) were also responding to the crime scene, officials said.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, commented on the number of mass shootings that have occurred nationwide in recent years.

"There's numbness I imagine some of us are feeling about this because there's a sameness to this," he said. "Anywhere USA. It just feels like this happens over and over and over again. Rinse and repeat."

In Washington, DC, principal deputy press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said the White House will continue to stay in close contact with local officials in San Jose, before using the shooting as an opportunity to call for Congress to strengthen background checks.

A mass shooting at a San Jose, Calif., rail yard left eight people dead. The suspected shooter, identified as Samuel Cassidy, worked at the facility and took his own life, authorities said. (KGO)

"The White House is monitoring the situation, and our hearts go out to the victims and their families," Jean-Pierre said. "We still don't have all the details, but what is clear, as the president has said, is that we are suffering from an epidemic of gun violence in this country, both in mass shootings and in the lives that are being taken in daily gun violence that doesn't make national headlines."

VTA Chair Gel Hendricks said light rail service would be suspended for possibly several days. The agency will set up bus bridges to help customers get around.

"It’s just very difficult for everyone to be able try to wrap their heads around and understand what has happened," Hendricks said at an earlier news conference.

"These folks were heroes during COVID-19, the buses never stopped running, VTA didn’t stop running. They just kept at work, and now we’re really calling on them to be heroes a second time to survive such a terrible, terrible tragedy," Santa Clara County Supervisor Cindy Chavez added.

The VTA provides bus, light rail and other transit services throughout Santa Clara County, the largest in the Bay Area and home to Silicon Valley.

San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo said a vigil will be held at City Hall at 6 p.m. Thursday.

"Our hearts are broken," he said. "These are the women and men who supported our community through this pandemic. They showed up everyday as essential workers despite risks to their own health."

Liccardo said the sheriff’s office set up a reunification center for families at a county building at 70 Hedding St., near First Street.

Indianapolis 'mass murder' leaves 6 dead, including pregnant woman, unborn baby

Fox News Flash top headlines for January 24

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what's clicking on

A manhunt was underway early Monday in Indianapolis after six people were killed and another critically injured in what authorities called the largest mass casualty shooting in over a decade.

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department received a 911 call just before 4 a.m. Sunday about an individual who was shot on the 3300 block of East 36th Street.

Officers found a boy with a gunshot wound. The boy was rushed to a nearby hospital in critical condition and is expected to survive.

Police directed their attention to a nearby home where they found multiple people with gunshot wounds, including a pregnant woman who was also rushed to a nearby hospital.

Police confirmed the woman, her unborn child, and the other victims inside the house were all pronounced dead.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department work the scene Sunday, Jan. 24, 2021, in Indianapolis where five people, including a pregnant woman, were shot to death early Sunday inside an Indianapolis home. (Justin L. Mack/The Indianapolis Star via AP)

FOX59 Indianapolis' Lindsey Eaton reported that the Marion County coroner's office has identified the deceased victims as 13-year-old Rita Childs, 18-year-old Elijah Childs, 42-year-old mother Kezzie Childs, 42-year-old father Raymond Childs, as well as, 19-year-old Kiara Hawkins and her unborn baby boy.

"There are no right words to say at this time, a time when our community must come to terms with the largest mass casualty shooting in more than a decade," IMPD Chief Randal Taylor said during the news conference Sunday afternoon.

Taylor said that police believe the victims were targeted by one or more people. No motive or information on the suspects has been released.

Sergeant Shane Foley added that the incident "does not appear to be a random act" and that an investigation into the incident is ongoing, with detectives active on scene canvassing the area for witnesses or anyone with more information.

Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett said police will have the support of federal authorities. .

"I want those responsible to know that the full might of local, state, and federal law enforcement are coming for them as I speak," said Hogsett. "Coming for them today, coming for them tonight, coming for them tomorrow, and the day after that. Coming for them as long as it takes to find them. And we will not stop there."

Hogsett said it was not a "simple act of gun violence."

"What happened this morning was a mass murder," he said. "A choice of an individual or individuals to bring, and I do not use these words lightly-- terror to our community."

Police will determine whether firearms involved in the incident were illegally possessed. They will also identify anyone responsible for providing them, as well as, anyone that has or chooses to aid and abet the individual or individuals involved.

The incident occurred after the city recorded the most violent year in its history, according to the Indianapolis Star.

Shardae Hoskins, a member of the police department's Violence Reduction Team told the paper that Indianapolis has to change how people handle conflict, while also fixing issues of poverty that lead to many of the crimes.

"For a decade now, the city of Indianapolis has engaged in a community conversation as to how we should best address the deadly confluence of guns, substance abuse, and poverty that has seen our city's homicide rate rise to historic highs," Hogsett said.

However, the mayor said what occurred on Sunday was fundamentally different compared to what the city has been experiencing as of late.

"Not that any crime of gun violence is acceptable under any circumstance, but when it is a crime of passion or retaliation, that is one thing," Hogsett continued. "It is a completely different thing for a trigger puller, or perhaps several trigger pullers, to walk into one home and kill six people. And that is why we're here today."

Taylor called the shooting a "different kind of evil."

Anyone with information is encouraged to call Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317-262-TIPS (8477) or the IMPD Homicide Office at 317-327-3475.

Women Who Kill: America's Most Shocking Female Mass Shooters

Shots rang out at the California campus of video-sharing site YouTube on Tuesday in what has become an all-too-familiar situation in America. But as the news unfolded in Silicon Valley, something unusual came to light: This time, the shooter was a woman. While accused YouTuber shooter Nasim Aghdam caused several injuries but no deaths, history shows female shooters have, at times, been culprits in these deadly mass shootings. Here are some of their stories:

Tashfeen Malik - San Bernardino Shooter, 14 Killed

Fourteen people were shot dead at a San Bernardino, Calif., office holiday party on Dec. 2, 2015 when authorities say Tashfeen Malik and her husband, Syed Rizwan Farook, stormed the facility after reportedly pledging their allegiance to an ISIS leader in a Facebook post. The couple had a 6-month-old child. The FBI says Malik, a Pakistani native, had been living in Saudi Arabia when she married Farook, a U.S. citizen who was born in Illinois, before moving to the U.S. the year of the shooting. Both Malik and Farook were killed in a standoff with police.

Jennifer San Marco - Handout

Jennifer San Marco - Goleta Post Office Shooting, 6 Killed

On Jan. 30, 2006, authorities say Jennifer San Marco opened fire inside the U.S. Postal Service mail sorting center in Goleta where she once worked, leaving six people dead before she fatally shot herself in the head. Earlier that day, police believe San Marco, who'd been previously granted early retirement for psychological reasons, fatally shot former neighbor Beverly Graham. Investigators say San Marco was psychologically disturbed and believed she was the target of some sort of conspiracy based out of the mail facility.

Brenda Spencer - Cleveland Elementary School Shooting, 2 Killed

Brenda Spencer was just a San Diego 16-year-old when she walked across the street from her home to Grover Cleveland Elementary School on Jan. 29, 1979 and began shooting at students. Eight children were injured, and two adults &mdash the school's principal and custodian &mdash were killed as they came to the aid of students'. Spencer would go on to give a reporter a bizarre answer for why she carried out the shooting. "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day," she said before eventually giving herself up and later pleading guilty to two counts of murder. She remains in a California prison.

Amy Bishop - University of Alabama Shooting, 3 Killed

Bishop was a college professor of neuroscience with a Harvard Ph.D. when authorities say she opened fire on fellow faculty members at the University of Alabama in Huntsville on Feb. 20, 2010. Bizarrely, students in the class she taught leading up to the faculty meeting where she pulled out a 9mm handgun said she seemed perfectly normal. Even fellow teachers in the meeting said Bishop acted normally before withdrawing the firearm, which she used to kill three and injure three others. The mother of four eventually entered a guilty plea and remains in prison today.

Laurie Dann - Winnetka Elementary Shooting Spree, 1 Killed

Laurie Dann was a 30-year-old divorcee in 1988 when she delivered arsenic-tainted Rice Krispy treats and juice boxes to Chicago-area acquaintances, former babysitter clients, her psychiatrist, ex-husband and several fraternity houses at Northwestern University. No one was ultimately fatally poisoned, but on May 20 of that year, Dann entered a Winnetka, Ill., elementary school and started shooting. She injured several children and killed an 8-year-old boy. She would later hold a family hostage for hours &mdash shooting but not killing the family patriarch &mdash before fatally shooting herself.

Latina Williams - Louisiana Technical College, 2 Killed

On Feb. 8, 2008, 23-year-old nursing student Latina Williams opened fire in a classroom at the Louisiana Technical College in Baton Rouge. Two women were killed. Williams then turned the gun on herself. According to a statement subsequently released by the Baton Rouge Police Department, Williams displayed signs "of paranoia and losing touch with reality" leading up to the shooting.

Mass murder leaves 9 dead including suspected killer in Edmonton, Fort Sask.

EDMONTON — Police have identified one of the women killed in the largest mass murder in Edmonton’s history as 37-year-old Cyndi Duong. The incident left nine people dead, including Duong, two young children, and the man believed to be responsible.

A sombre Police Chief Rod Knecht calls the deaths “tragic incidents of domestic violence.”

“This series of events were not random acts, but rather appear to be planned, deliberate and targeted,” he said in an update Tuesday night, adding that there was no risk to the general public.

“It is a tragic day for Edmonton,” said Knecht. “Our thoughts go out to the community as we all come to terms with the senseless mass murder of eight people.”

Police say the deadly spree began in the southwest neighbourhood of Haddow Monday evening. Just before 7 p.m., police responded to a weapons complaint at a home near Haswell Court and 16 Avenue. Once there, they found a middle-aged woman dead from a gunshot wound.

“It is alleged a male entered a private residence, discharged a handgun, and fled the scene,” said Knecht.

Later Monday evening, around 8:30 p.m., police responded to a call near 83rd Street and 180th Avenue, in Klarvatten, part of Lakeview. They were called to check on the welfare of a man.

“According to family, the man seemed depressed and overly emotional. The family was concerned that the male may be suicidal,” said Knecht.

When police arrived at the north-end residence, the man wasn’t there.

“A check of the exterior of the residence revealed nothing suspicious. There were also no signs of the suspect’s vehicle,” explained Knecht.

At 12:23 a.m., after another person contacted police with more information, police returned to the home and established grounds to breach the home.

“Once access was gained, our officers confirmed there were seven deceased individuals within the residence.”

“These murders were described by investigators as appearing to be planned and deliberate.”

“The weapon used in these senseless murders was a 9 mm handgun legally registered in British Columbia in 1997 and reported stolen in Surrey, B.C. in 2006,” said Knecht.

The seven victims found inside the home were three middle-aged women, two middle-aged men and two children – a boy and a girl, both under the age of 10.

“It’s horrific… It’s chaotic… it’s horrific… particularly when there’s children involved, it has a tremendous impact on our folks.”

Knecht said he believed police did everything they could when responding to the north Edmonton home.

“At this point, it appears we did everything we could have done at that time. We couldn’t just arbitrarily enter a residence without having good information to breach a residence.”

Then, around 2:20 a.m. Tuesday, Edmonton police responded to a restaurant in downtown Fort Saskatchewan.

“They discovered a black SUV that matched the description of a vehicle believed to associated with the first homicide in southwest Edmonton,” explained Knecht. A man was found inside VN Express restaurant, dead by apparent suicide. A body was removed from the building around 2:45 p.m. Tuesday.

“I can confirm that the deceased male is in fact the same male police have been attempting to locate since 8:28 p.m. yesterday.” The man found dead inside of the Fort Saskatchewan restaurant also matched the description of the suicidal man allegedly associated with the scene at 83rd Street and 180th Avenue.

Police believe he had a “business interest” in that restaurant.

Knecht said the man had a history with police and that officers had been to the north Edmonton home twice before. The first time was in November 2012.

“A male subject was arrested and charged for offences relating to domestic violence, sexual assault and uttering threats,” said Knecht. The second time was in 2013 for a check on welfare.

“This male subject is well-known to the Edmonton Police Service and has a criminal record dating back to September of 1987.”

Knecht said, while there have been reports this incident may be gang or drug-related, all the evidence so far indicates it is not.

“Rather, there is strong evidence that these events are the tragic result of family and domestic violence.”

Autopsies will be conducted on the victims from the north Edmonton home and the male suspect on Jan. 1. The identities of the deceased aren’t being released until the cause of deaths is confirmed and family is notified.

View image in full screen

View image in gallery mode

View image in gallery mode

View image in gallery mode

View image in gallery mode

View image in gallery mode

View image in gallery mode

View image in gallery mode

View image in gallery mode

View image in gallery mode

After police surrounded the north Edmonton home on Monday, a witness heard a woman scream “my kids! My kids!” Neighbours told Global News a couple with young children lived there, as well as an elderly woman. Next-door neighbours said the boy was eight years old and his sister was just one.

A neighbour said that police came out of the house and approached a man and woman waiting in a car, then the woman jumped out screaming for the kids. Yellow police tape was put up a short time later.

According to land titles the Lakeview home is owned by Phu Lam and Tien Truong, and the home in the Haddow neighbourhood where one woman was murdered is owned by Cyndi Duong and David Luu.

WATCH: Nine people are dead, including two children, after what police say was a “tragic incidents of domestic violence.” Shallima Maharaj, Tom Vernon and Lisa Wolansky report.

Adults and children stopped by the scene Tuesday night to lay flowers, candles and a teddy bear in front of the the north Edmonton home.

“I wish to express my sorrow at the tragic incident which claimed lives in Edmonton and Fort Saskatchewan today,” said Alberta premier Jim Prentice, “and my appreciation to the first responders involved.”

“In this season of peace and goodwill, this act of violence is all the more difficult to comprehend,” he added. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of those involved at this very difficult time. May they find strength in knowing that Albertans share in their loss.”

Indianapolis Mass Shooting: At Least Eight Dead at FedEx Facility

Cameron McWhirter

Nora Naughton

INDIANAPOLIS—A 19-year old former employee opened fire at a FedEx Corp. facility here Thursday night, killing eight people and wounding several others before taking his own life, in the third deadly shooting of this scale in the U.S. in recent weeks.

Law-enforcement officials identified the suspect Friday as Brandon Hole, and said he was temporarily committed last year for mental-health problems. The Federal Bureau of Investigation also confiscated a gun from him last year. He worked at FedEx for two months, from August to October 2020, FedEx said.

Around 11 p.m. Thursday, the suspect arrived at the FedEx Ground facility’s parking lot, got out of his car and started shooting at people, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Deputy Chief Craig McCartt said at a news conference Friday morning. The man then entered the building, shooting at more people before killing himself.

Four people with gunshot wounds were taken to local hospitals, and a fifth person shot in the attack sought medical attention in another county, police said. Two others were treated at the scene and released. Of the deceased, four were found in the parking lot and four inside the facility.

When police arrived, they found “an active and chaotic crime scene,” Deputy Chief McCartt said. The incident lasted only a few minutes, and by the time police went inside the facility, “the situation was over,” he said.

Continue reading your article with a WSJ membership

Mass Shooting at Georgia Asian Massage Parlors Leaves 8 Dead, Suspect Arrested

What happened: Three people were fatally shot at one spa in northeast Atlanta, and a fourth person was killed at a different spa across the street, according to Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant.

UPDATE: Atlanta police tell us a total of four Asian women were shot and killed. 3 at Gold Spa, one at Aromatherapy spa. Looking into whether or not this is tied to a similar incident in Cherokee county @FOX5Atlanta

— Janice Yu (@JaniceYuNews) March 16, 2021

Bryant said all four victims were women, and “It appears that they may be Asian,” according to AP.

Police responded to a robbery in progress at the Gold Massage Spa at around 5:50 p.m., where three women were found dead from apparent gunshot wounds.

They found a woman who appeared to have been fatally shot inside the Aroma Therapy Spa across the street following reports of shots fired.

Five people were shot earlier at around 5 p.m. at Young’s Asian Massage Parlor in Acworth, Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Capt. Jay Baker said.

Two victims died and three were rushed to a local hospital where two also died, according to police.

The suspect: The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office identified the suspect as Robert Aaron Long, 21, of Woodstock.

Long was taken into custody in Crisp County, about 150 miles south of Atlanta, around 8:30 p.m. after a car chase, WSB-TV reported.

Surveillance footage shows a man suspected in the Acworth shooting pulling up to the business at 4:50 p.m. on Tuesday.

Officials in each jurisdiction said there were no immediate indications of motive and it’s unclear whether the shootings were related, CNN reported.

Suspect charged with 8 counts of murder and one count of aggravated assault

The suspect, Robert Aaron Long, has been charged with eight counts of murder in connection to the rampage.

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office charged Long with four counts of murder and one count of aggravated assault and the Atlanta Police Department charged him with an additional four counts of murder.

"A motive is still not clear, but a crime against the community is a crime against all of us," Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said Wednesday. "I have remained in close contact with the White House and APD as they work with federal, state, and local partners to investigate the suspect who is responsible for this sensible violence in our city."

Atlanta-Area Shootings at Spas Leave Eight Dead

ATLANTA—Eight people, many of them women of Asian descent, were killed Tuesday evening in shootings at three Atlanta-area massage parlors and a suspect is in custody, law-enforcement officials said.

Officials in Cherokee County, where the first shooting took place, identified the suspect as Robert Aaron Long, a 21-year-old from Woodstock, a distant suburb north of Atlanta. Mr. Long was captured in Crisp County, 150 miles southeast of Atlanta, a sheriff’s office spokesman said.

All of the victims at the Atlanta massage parlors were women, said Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant late Tuesday. “And it appears that they may be Asian,” he said.

South Korea’s foreign ministry said Wednesday that at least four of those killed were of Korean descent. Authorities are checking if they were South Korean citizens.

About 5 p.m., Cherokee County sheriff’s deputies responded to reports of a shooting at Young’s Asian Massage Parlor in Acworth, Ga. At the business, deputies found multiple people shot. Law enforcement reported four people died in that shooting.

Continue reading your article with a WSJ membership

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos