USS Fargo (CL-106)

USS Fargo (CL-106)

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

USS Fargo (CL-106)

USS Fargo (CL-106) was the name-ship of the small Fargo class of light cruisers. She entered service just after the end of the Second World War, and entered the reserve after a short post-war career.

The Fargo class was a modification of the Cleveland class, with a single funnel, lower gun positions and modified superstructure. A large number were ordered, but only the Fargo and the Huntington were completed. Fargo was laid down in August 1943, but work proceeded more slowly than on most Cleveland class ships, and she wasn't launched until February 1945. She was commissioned on 9 December 1945, three months after the end of the Second World War.

The Fargo's short service career began with a good will cruise in the Caribbean and South American. On 31 May 1946 she set sail for the Mediterranean, where she remained until March 1947. During this period she carried out a series of good will visits, as well as serving as the American representative at Trieste, then claimed by both Italy and Yugoslavia.

The Fargo spent a second tour in the Mediterranean between May and September 1947, serving as flagship, Commander, Naval Forces Mediterranean, for a month during this period. After her return to the US she exercised with the Atlantic Fleet. She returned to the Mediterranean for two more tours of duty in 1948-1949, before on 14 February 1950 she was decommissioned and placed in the reserve fleet. She was stricken from the Navy List in 1970.

Displacement (standard)


Displacement (loaded)


Top Speed



11,000nm at 15kts

Armour – belt


- armour deck


- bulkheads


- barbettes


- turrets

6.5in face
3in top
3in side
1.5in rear

- conning tower

2.25in roof


610ft 1in oa


Twelve 6in/47 guns (four triple turrets)
Twelve 5in/38 guns (six double positions)
Twenty eight 40mm guns
Twenty one AA 20mm guns
Four aircraft

Crew complement



New York SB

Laid down

23 August 1943


25 February 1945


9 December 1945


1 March 1970

Fargo-class cruiser

The Fargo-class cruisers were a modified version of the Cleveland-class cruiser design the main difference was a more compact pyramidal superstructure with single trunked funnel, intended to improve the arcs of fire of the anti-aircraft (AA) guns. The same type of modification differentiated the Baltimore and Oregon City classes of heavy cruisers. [2] Changes were made in order to reduce the instability of the Cleveland-class light cruisers, especially their tendency to roll dangerously. [3] The main battery turrets sat about a foot lower and the wing gunhouses (the 5 inch, twin gun mounts on the sides of the ship) were lowered to the main deck. The medium (40 mm) anti-aircraft mounts were also lowered. [4]

  • 11,744 long tons (11,932 t) (standard)
  • 14,464 long tons (14,696 t) (full)
  • 4 × Babcock & Wilcox, 634 psi boilers
  • 100,000 shp (75,000 kW)
  • 4 × General Electric geared steam turbines
  • 4 × screws
  • 4 × triple 6 in (152 mm)/47
  • 6 × dual 5 in (127 mm)/38 caliber
  • 28 × 40 mm (1.6 in) Bofors guns (4 × 4, 6 × 2)
  • 20 × 20 mm (0.79 in) Oerlikon cannons
    : 1.5–5 in (38–127 mm) : 2–3 in (51–76 mm) : 5 in (127 mm) : 3–5 in (76–127 mm) : 6 in (152 mm) : 2.25–5 in (57–127 mm)

In all, 13 ships of the class were planned but only Fargo and Huntington were ever completed, the rest being cancelled at varying states of completion with the de-escalation and eventual end of World War II. [5]

Fargo, the lead ship of the class, was launched on 25 February 1945, but was not commissioned until 9 December 1945, four months after the war ended. Huntington was commissioned early in 1946. The two ships were decommissioned in 1949–1950, and never reactivated.

USS Fargo CL-106 (1945-1950)

Request a FREE packet and get the best information and resources on mesothelioma delivered to you overnight.

All Content is copyright 2021 | About Us

Attorney Advertising. This website is sponsored by Seeger Weiss LLP with offices in New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia. The principal address and telephone number of the firm are 55 Challenger Road, Ridgefield Park, New Jersey, (973) 639-9100. The information on this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide specific legal or medical advice. Do not stop taking a prescribed medication without first consulting with your doctor. Discontinuing a prescribed medication without your doctor’s advice can result in injury or death. Prior results of Seeger Weiss LLP or its attorneys do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome with respect to any future matter. If you are a legal copyright holder and believe a page on this site falls outside the boundaries of "Fair Use" and infringes on your client’s copyright, we can be contacted regarding copyright matters at [email protected]

Our Newsletter

Product Description

USS Fargo CL 106

1949 Cruise Book

Bring the Cruise Book to Life with this Multimedia Presentation

This CD will Exceed your Expectations

A great part of Naval history.

You would be purchasing the USS Fargo CL 106 cruise book during this time period. Each page has been placed on a CD for years of enjoyable computer viewing. The CD comes in a plastic sleeve with a custom label. Every page has been enhanced and is readable. Rare cruise books like this sell for a hundred dollars or more when buying the actual hard copy if you can find one for sale.

This would make a great gift for yourself or someone you know who may have served aboard her. Usually only ONE person in the family has the original book. The CD makes it possible for other family members to have a copy also. You will not be disappointed we guarantee it.

Some of the items in this book are as follows:

  • Divisional Group Photos
  • Some Ports of Call: Porto di Trrieste, Venezia, Oran, Sicily, Napoli, Istanbul, Suda Bay, Rivier Villeftanche, Monte Carlo, Gibraltar.
  • Many Crew Activity Photos
  • Change of Command Ceremony
  • Decommissioning the Ship
  • Cruise Itinery showing Port, Arrival and Departure Dates.
  • Plus Much More

Over 222 Photos on Approximately 118 Pages.

Once you view this book you will know what life was like on this Cruiser during this time period.

Additional Bonus:

  • Several Additional Images of the USS Fargo CL 106 (National Archives)
  • 6 Minute Audio of " Sounds of Boot Camp " in the late 50's early 60's
  • Other Interesting Items Include:
    • The Oath of Enlistment
    • The Sailors Creed
    • Core Values of the United States Navy
    • Military Code of Conduct
    • Navy Terminology Origins (8 Pages)
    • Examples: Scuttlebutt, Chewing the Fat, Devil to Pay,
    • Hunky-Dory and many more.

    Why a CD instead of a hard copy book?

    • The pictures will not be degraded over time.
    • Self contained CD no software to load.
    • Thumbnails, table of contents and index for easy viewing reference.
    • View as a digital flip book or watch a slide show. (You set the timing options)
    • Back ground patriotic music and Navy sounds can be turned on or off.
    • Viewing options are described in the help section.
    • Bookmark your favorite pages.
    • The quality on your screen may be better than a hard copy with the ability to magnify any page.
    • Full page viewing slide show that you control with arrow keys or mouse.
    • Designed to work on a Microsoft platform. (Not Apple or Mac) Will work with Windows 98 or above.

    Personal Comment from "Navyboy63"

    The cruise book CD is a great inexpensive way of preserving historical family heritage for yourself, children or grand children especially if you or a loved one has served aboard the ship. It is a way to get connected with the past especially if you no longer have the human connection.

    If your loved one is still with us, they might consider this to be a priceless gift. Statistics show that only 25-35% of sailors purchased their own cruise book. Many probably wished they would have. It's a nice way to show them that you care about their past and appreciate the sacrifice they and many others made for you and the FREEDOM of our country. Would also be great for school research projects or just self interest in World War II documentation.

    We never knew what life was like for a sailor in World War II until we started taking an interest in these great books. We found pictures which we never knew existed of a relative who served on the USS Essex CV 9 during World War II. He passed away at a very young age and we never got a chance to hear many of his stories. Somehow by viewing his cruise book which we never saw until recently has reconnected the family with his legacy and Naval heritage. Even if we did not find the pictures in the cruise book it was a great way to see what life was like for him. We now consider these to be family treasures. His children, grand children and great grand children can always be connected to him in some small way which they can be proud of. This is what motivates and drives us to do the research and development of these great cruise books. I hope you can experience the same thing for your family.

    If you have any questions please send us an E-mail prior to purchasing.

    Buyer pays shipping and handling. Shipping charges outside the US will vary by location.

    Check our feedback. Customers who have purchased these CD's have been very pleased with the product.

    Be sure to add us to your !

    Thanks for your Interest!

    Powered by
    The free listing tool. List your items fast and easy and manage your active items.

    This CD is for your personal use only

    Copyright © 2003-2010 Great Naval Images LLC. All rights reserved.


    Bonnie Elizabeth Parker was born in 1910 in Rowena, Texas, the second of three children. Her father Charles Robert Parker (1884–1911) was a bricklayer who died when Bonnie was 1 year old. [6] Her widowed mother Emma (Krause) Parker (1885–1944) moved her family back to her parents' home in Cement City, an industrial suburb in West Dallas where she worked as a seamstress. [7] As an adult, Bonnie wrote poems such as "The Story of Suicide Sal" [8] and "The Trail's End", the latter more commonly known as "The Story of Bonnie and Clyde". [9]

    In her second year in high school, Parker met Roy Thornton (1908–1937). The couple dropped out of school and married on September 25, 1926 , six days before her 16th birthday. [10] Their marriage was marred by his frequent absences and brushes with the law, and it proved to be short lived. They never divorced, but their paths never crossed again after January 1929. She was still wearing his wedding ring when she died. [notes 2] Thornton was in prison when he heard of her death. He commented, "I'm glad they jumped out like they did. It's much better than being caught." [11] Sentenced to 5 years for robbery in 1933 and after attempting several prison breaks from other facilities, Thornton was killed while trying to escape from the Huntsville State Prison on October 3, 1937.

    After the end of her marriage, Parker moved back in with her mother and worked as a waitress in Dallas. One of her regular customers was postal worker Ted Hinton. In 1932, he joined the Dallas Sheriff's Department and eventually served as a member of the posse that killed Bonnie and Clyde. [12] Parker briefly kept a diary early in 1929 when she was 18, in which she wrote of her loneliness, her impatience with life in Dallas, and her love of talking pictures. [13]

    Clyde Chestnut Barrow [14] [15] was born in 1909 into a poor farming family in Ellis County, Texas, southeast of Dallas. [16] [17] He was the fifth of seven children of Henry Basil Barrow (1874–1957) and Cumie Talitha Walker (1874–1942). The family moved to Dallas in the early 1920s, part of a migration pattern from rural areas to the city where many settled in the urban slum of West Dallas. The Barrows spent their first months in West Dallas living under their wagon until they got enough money to buy a tent. [18]

    Barrow was first arrested in late 1926, at age 17, after running when police confronted him over a rental car that he had failed to return on time. His second arrest was with his brother Buck soon after for possession of stolen turkeys. Barrow had some legitimate jobs during 1927 through 1929, but he also cracked safes, robbed stores, and stole cars. He met 19 year-old Parker through a mutual friend in January 1930, and they spent much time together during the following weeks. Their romance was interrupted when Barrow was arrested and convicted of auto theft.

    Clyde was sent to Eastham Prison Farm in April 1930 at the age of 21. He escaped from the prison farm shortly after his incarceration using a weapon Parker smuggled to him. He was recaptured shortly after and sent back to prison. [19] Barrow was repeatedly sexually assaulted while in prison, and he retaliated by attacking and killing his tormentor with a pipe, crushing his skull. [20] This was his first killing. Another inmate, who was already serving a life sentence, claimed responsibility.

    In order to avoid hard labor in the fields, Barrow purposely had two of his toes chopped off by either him or another inmate in late January 1932. Because of this, he walked with a limp for the rest of his life. However, Barrow was set free six days after his intentional injury. Without his knowledge, Barrow's mother had successfully petitioned for his release. [21] He was paroled on February 2, 1932 from Eastham as a hardened and bitter criminal. His sister Marie said, "Something awful sure must have happened to him in prison because he wasn't the same person when he got out." [22] Fellow inmate Ralph Fults said that he watched Clyde "change from a schoolboy to a rattlesnake". [23]

    In his post-Eastham career, Barrow robbed grocery stores and gas stations at a rate far outpacing the ten or so bank robberies attributed to him and the Barrow Gang. His favorite weapon was the M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR). [21] According to John Neal Phillips, Barrow's goal in life was not to gain fame or fortune from robbing banks but to seek revenge against the Texas prison system for the abuses that he suffered while serving time. [24]

    Several accounts describe Parker and Barrow's first meeting. The most credible states that they met on January 5, 1930 at the home of Barrow's friend Clarence Clay at 105 Herbert Street in the neighborhood of West Dallas. [25] Barrow was 20 years old, and Parker was 19. Parker was out of work and staying with a female friend to assist her during her recovery from a broken arm. Barrow dropped by the girl's house while Parker was in the kitchen making hot chocolate. [26] Both were smitten immediately most historians believe that Parker joined Barrow because she had fallen in love with him. She remained his loyal companion as they carried out their many crimes and awaited the violent death that they viewed as inevitable. [27]

    1932: Early robberies and murders Edit

    After Barrow's release from prison in February 1932, he and Fults began a series of robberies, primarily of stores and gas stations [14] their goal was to collect enough money and firepower to launch a raid against Eastham prison. [24] On April 19, Parker and Fults were captured in a failed hardware store burglary in Kaufman in which they had intended to steal firearms. [28] Parker was released from jail in a few months, after the grand jury failed to indict her Fults was tried, convicted, and served time. He never rejoined the gang.

    On April 30, Barrow was the getaway driver in a robbery in Hillsboro during which store owner J.N. Bucher was shot and killed. [29] Bucher's wife identified Barrow from police photographs as one of the shooters, although he had stayed inside in the car.

    Parker wrote poetry to pass the time in jail. [30] [notes 3] She reunited with Barrow within a few weeks of her release from the Kaufman County jail.

    On August 5, Barrow, Raymond Hamilton and Ross Dyer were drinking moonshine at a country dance in Stringtown, Oklahoma when Sheriff C.G. Maxwell and Deputy Eugene C. Moore approached them in the parking lot. Barrow and Hamilton opened fire, killing Moore and gravely wounding Maxwell. [31] [32] Moore was the first law officer that Barrow and his gang had killed they eventually murdered nine. On October 11, they allegedly killed Howard Hall at his store during a robbery in Sherman, Texas, though some historians consider this unlikely. [33]

    W. D. Jones had been a friend of Barrow's family since childhood. He joined Parker and Barrow on Christmas Eve 1932 at the age of 16, and the three left Dallas that night. [34] The next day, Christmas Day of that year, Jones and Barrow murdered Doyle Johnson, a young family man, while stealing his car in Temple. [35] Barrow killed Tarrant County Deputy Malcolm Davis on January 6, 1933 when he, Parker, and Jones wandered into a police trap set for another criminal. [36] The gang had murdered five people since April.

    1933: Buck and Blanche Barrow join the gang Edit

    On March 22, 1933, Clyde's brother Buck was granted a full pardon and released from prison, and he and his wife Blanche set up housekeeping with Bonnie, Clyde and Jones in a temporary hideout at 3347 1/2 Oakridge Drive in Joplin, Missouri. According to family sources, [37] Buck and Blanche were there to visit they attempted to persuade Clyde to surrender to law enforcement. The group ran loud, alcohol-fueled card games late into the night in the quiet neighborhood Blanche recalled that they "bought a case of beer a day". [38] The men came and went noisily at all hours, and Clyde accidentally fired a BAR in the apartment while cleaning it. [39] No neighbors went to the house, but one reported suspicions to the Joplin Police Department.

    The police assembled a five-man force in two cars on April 13 to confront what they suspected were bootleggers living in the garage apartment. The Barrow brothers and Jones opened fire, killing Detective Harry L. McGinnis outright and fatally wounding Constable J. W. Harryman. [40] [41] Parker opened fire with a BAR as the others fled, forcing Highway Patrol Sergeant G.B. Kahler to duck behind a large oak tree. The .30 caliber bullets from the BAR struck the tree and forced wood splinters into the sergeant's face. [42] Parker got into the car with the others, and they pulled in Blanche from the street where she was pursuing her dog Snow Ball. [43] The surviving officers later testified that they had fired only fourteen rounds in the conflict [44] one hit Jones on the side, one struck Clyde but was deflected by his suit-coat button, and one grazed Buck after ricocheting off a wall.

    The group escaped the police at Joplin, but left behind most of their possessions at the apartment, including Buck's parole papers (three weeks old), a large arsenal of weapons, a handwritten poem by Bonnie, and a camera with several rolls of undeveloped film. [45] Police developed the film at The Joplin Globe and found many photos of Barrow, Parker, and Jones posing and pointing weapons at one another. [46] The Globe sent the poem and the photos over the newswire, including a photo of Parker clenching a cigar in her teeth and a pistol in her hand, and the gang of criminals became front-page news throughout America as the Barrow Gang.

    The photo of Parker posing with a cigar and a gun became popular:

    John Dillinger had matinee-idol good looks and Pretty Boy Floyd had the best possible nickname, but the Joplin photos introduced new criminal superstars with the most titillating trademark of all—illicit sex. Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker were wild and young, and undoubtedly slept together. [47]

    The group ranged from Texas as far north as Minnesota for the next three months. In May, they tried to rob the bank in Lucerne, Indiana, [48] and robbed the bank in Okabena, Minnesota. [49] They kidnapped Dillard Darby and Sophia Stone at Ruston, Louisiana in the course of stealing Darby's car this was one of several events between 1932 and 1934 in which they kidnapped police officers or robbery victims. [notes 4] They usually released their hostages far from home, sometimes with money to help them return home. [3] [50]

    Stories of such encounters made headlines, as did the more violent episodes. The Barrow Gang did not hesitate to shoot anyone who got in their way, whether it was a police officer or an innocent civilian. Other members of the Barrow Gang who committed murder included Hamilton, Jones, Buck, and Henry Methvin. Eventually, the cold-bloodedness of their murders opened the public's eyes to the reality of their crimes, and led to their ends. [51]

    The photos entertained the public for a time, but the gang was desperate and discontented, as described by Blanche in her account written while imprisoned in the late 1930s. [52] [notes 5] With their new notoriety, their daily lives became more difficult, as they tried to evade discovery. Restaurants and motels became less secure they resorted to campfire cooking and bathing in cold streams. [53] The unrelieved, round-the-clock proximity of five people in one car gave rise to vicious bickering. [54] [notes 6] Jones was the driver when he and Barrow stole a car belonging to Darby in late April, and he used that car to leave the others. He stayed away until June 8. [55]

    Barrow failed to see warning signs at a bridge under construction on June 10, while driving with Jones and Parker near Wellington, Texas, and the car flipped into a ravine. [3] [56] Sources disagree on whether there was a gasoline fire [57] or if Parker was doused with acid from the car's battery under the floorboards, [58] [notes 7] but she sustained third-degree burns to her right leg, so severe that the muscles contracted and caused the leg to "draw up". [59] Jones observed: "She'd been burned so bad none of us thought she was gonna live. The hide on her right leg was gone, from her hip down to her ankle. I could see the bone at places." [60]

    Parker could hardly walk she either hopped on her good leg or was carried by Barrow. They got help from a nearby farm family, then kidnapped Collinsworth County Sheriff George Corry and City Marshal Paul Hardy leaving the two of them handcuffed and barbed wired to a tree outside Erick, Oklahoma. The three rendezvoused with Buck and Blanche, and hid in a tourist court near Fort Smith, Arkansas, nursing Parker's burns. Buck and Jones bungled a robbery and murdered Town Marshal Henry D. Humphrey in Alma, Arkansas. [61] The criminals had to flee, despite Parker's grave condition. [62]

    Platte City and Dexfield Park Edit

    In July 1933, the gang checked in to the Red Crown Tourist Court [63] south of Platte City, Missouri. It consisted of two brick cabins joined by garages, and the gang rented both. [63] To the south stood the Red Crown Tavern, a popular restaurant among Missouri Highway Patrolmen, and the gang seemed to go out of their way to draw attention. [64] Blanche registered the party as three guests, but owner Neal Houser could see five people getting out of the car. He noted that the driver backed into the garage "gangster style" for a quick getaway. [65] Blanche paid for their cabins with coins rather than bills, and did the same later when buying five dinners and five beers. [66] [notes 8] The next day, Houser noticed that his guests had taped newspapers over the windows of their cabin Blanche again paid for five meals with coins. Her outfit of jodhpur riding breeches [67] also attracted attention they were not typical attire for women in the area, and eyewitnesses still remembered them forty years later. [65] Houser told Captain William Baxter of the Highway Patrol, a patron of his restaurant, about the group. [63]

    Barrow and Jones went into town [notes 9] to purchase bandages, crackers, cheese, and atropine sulfate to treat Parker's leg. [68] The druggist contacted Sheriff Holt Coffey, who put the cabins under surveillance. Coffey had been alerted by Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas law enforcement to watch for strangers seeking such supplies. The sheriff contacted Captain Baxter, who called for reinforcements from Kansas City, including an armored car. [63] Sheriff Coffey led a group of officers toward the cabins at 11pm, armed with Thompson submachine guns. [69]

    In the gunfight which ensued, the .45 caliber Thompsons proved no match for Barrow's .30 caliber BAR, stolen on July 7 from the National Guard armory at Enid, Oklahoma. [70] The gang escaped when a bullet short-circuited the horn on the armored car [notes 10] and the police officers mistook it for a cease-fire signal. They did not pursue the retreating Barrow vehicle. [63]

    The gang had evaded the law once again, but Buck had sustained a bullet wound that blasted a large hole in his forehead skull bone and exposed his injured brain, and Blanche was nearly blinded by glass fragments in both her eyes. [63] [71]

    The Barrow Gang camped at Dexfield Park, an abandoned amusement park near Dexter, Iowa, on July 24. [3] [72] Buck was sometimes semiconscious, and he even talked and ate, but his massive head wound and loss of blood were so severe that Barrow and Jones dug a grave for him. [73] Local residents noticed their bloody bandages, and officers determined that the campers were the Barrow Gang. Local police officers and approximately 100 spectators surrounded the group, and the Barrows soon came under fire. [72] Barrow, Parker, and Jones escaped on foot. [3] [72] Buck was shot in the back, and he and his wife were captured by the officers. Buck died of his head wound and pneumonia after surgery five days later at Kings Daughters Hospital in Perry, Iowa. [72]

    For the next six weeks, the remaining perpetrators ranged far afield from their usual area of operations, west to Colorado, north to Minnesota, southeast to Mississippi yet they continued to commit armed robberies. [74] [notes 11] They restocked their arsenal when Barrow and Jones robbed an armory at Plattville, Illinois on August 20, acquiring three BARs, handguns, and a large quantity of ammunition. [75]

    By early September, the gang risked a run to Dallas to see their families for the first time in four months. Jones parted company with them, continuing to Houston where his mother had moved. [3] [72] [notes 12] He was arrested there without incident on November 16, and returned to Dallas. Through the autumn, Barrow committed several robberies with small-time local accomplices, while his family and Parker's attended to her considerable medical needs. On November 22, they narrowly evaded arrest while trying to meet with family members near Sowers, Texas. Dallas Sheriff Smoot Schmid, Deputy Bob Alcorn, and Deputy Ted Hinton lay in wait nearby. As Barrow drove up, he sensed a trap and drove past his family's car, at which point Schmid and his deputies stood up and opened fire with machine guns and a BAR. The family members in the crossfire were not hit, but a BAR bullet passed through the car, striking the legs of both Barrow and Parker. [76] They escaped later that night.

    On November 28, a Dallas grand jury delivered a murder indictment against Parker and Barrow for the killing – in January of that year, nearly ten months earlier – of Tarrant County Deputy Malcolm Davis [77] it was Parker's first warrant for murder.

    1934: Final run Edit

    On January 16, 1934, Barrow orchestrated the escape of Hamilton, Methvin, and several others in the "Eastham Breakout". [24] The brazen raid generated negative publicity for Texas, and Barrow seemed to have achieved what historian Phillips suggests was his overriding goal: revenge on the Texas Department of Corrections. [notes 13]

    Barrow Gang member Joe Palmer shot Major Joe Crowson during his escape, and Crowson died a few days later in the hospital. [78] This attack attracted the full power of the Texas and federal government to the manhunt for Barrow and Parker. As Crowson struggled for life, prison chief Lee Simmons reportedly promised him that all persons involved in the breakout would be hunted down and killed. [24] All of them eventually were, except for Methvin, who preserved his life by setting up the ambush of Barrow and Parker. [24]

    The Texas Department of Corrections contacted former Texas Ranger Captain Frank Hamer and persuaded him to hunt down the Barrow Gang. He was retired, but his commission had not expired. [79] He accepted the assignment as a Texas Highway Patrol officer, secondarily assigned to the prison system as a special investigator, and given the specific task of taking down the Barrow Gang.

    Hamer was tall, burly, and taciturn, unimpressed by authority and driven by an "inflexible adherence to right, or what he thinks is right." [80] For twenty years, he had been feared and admired throughout Texas as "the walking embodiment of the 'One Riot, One Ranger' ethos". [81] He "had acquired a formidable reputation as a result of several spectacular captures and the shooting of a number of Texas criminals". [82] He was officially credited with 53 kills, and suffered seventeen wounds. [83] Prison boss Simmons always said publicly that Hamer had been his first choice, although there is evidence that he first approached two other Rangers, both of whom declined because they were reluctant to shoot a woman. [84] Starting on February 10, Hamer became the constant shadow of Barrow and Parker, living out of his car, just a town or two behind them. Three of Hamer's four brothers were also Texas Rangers brother Harrison was the best shot of the four, but Frank was considered the most tenacious. [85]

    Barrow and Methvin killed highway patrolmen H.D. Murphy and Edward Bryant Wheeler on Easter Sunday, April 1, 1934 at the intersection of Route 114 and Dove Road, near Grapevine, Texas (now Southlake). [86] [87] An eyewitness account said that Barrow and Parker fired the fatal shots, and this story received widespread coverage. [88] Methvin later claimed that he fired the first shot, after mistakenly assuming that Barrow wanted the officers killed. Barrow joined in, firing at Patrolman Murphy. [50]

    During the spring season, the Grapevine killings were recounted in exaggerated detail, affecting public perception all four Dallas daily papers seized on the story told by the eyewitness, a farmer who claimed to have seen Parker laugh at the way that Murphy's head "bounced like a rubber ball" on the ground as she shot him. [89] The stories claimed that police found a cigar butt "with tiny teeth marks", supposedly those of Parker. [90] Several days later, Murphy's fiancée wore her intended wedding dress to his funeral, attracting photos and newspaper coverage. [91] The eyewitness's ever-changing story was soon discredited, but the massive negative publicity increased the public clamor for the extermination of the Barrow Gang. The outcry galvanized the authorities into action, and Highway Patrol boss L.G. Phares offered a reward of $1,000 for "the dead bodies of the Grapevine slayers"—not their capture, just the bodies. [92] Texas Governor Ma Ferguson added another reward of $500 for each of the two killers, which meant that, for the first time, "there was a specific price on Bonnie's head, since she was so widely believed to have shot H.D. Murphy". [93]

    Public hostility increased five days later, when Barrow and Methvin murdered 60 year-old Constable William "Cal" Campbell, a widower and father, near Commerce, Oklahoma. [94] They kidnapped Commerce police chief Percy Boyd, crossed the state line into Kansas, and let him go, giving him a clean shirt, a few dollars, and a request from Parker to tell the world that she did not smoke cigars. Boyd identified both Barrow and Parker to authorities, but he never learned Methvin's name. The resultant arrest warrant for the Campbell murder specified "Clyde Barrow, Bonnie Parker and John Doe". [95] Historian Knight writes: "For the first time, Bonnie was seen as a killer, actually pulling the trigger—just like Clyde. Whatever chance she had for clemency had just been reduced." [92] The Dallas Journal ran a cartoon on its editorial page, showing an empty electric chair with a sign on it saying "Reserved", adding the words "Clyde and Bonnie". [96]

    Barrow and Parker were killed on May 23, 1934, on a rural road in Bienville Parish, Louisiana. [72] [97] Hamer, who had begun tracking the gang on February 12, led the posse. He had studied the gang's movements and found that they swung in a circle skirting the edges of five mid-western states, exploiting the "state line" rule which prevented officers from pursuing a fugitive into another jurisdiction. Barrow was consistent in his movements, so Hamer charted his path and predicted where he would go. The gang's itinerary centered on family visits, and they were due to see Methvin's family in Louisiana. In case they were separated, Barrow had designated Methvin's parents' residence as a rendezvous, and Methvin became separated from the rest of the gang in Shreveport. Hamer's posse was composed of six men: Texas officers Hamer, Hinton, Alcorn, and B.M. "Maney" Gault, and Louisiana officers Henderson Jordan and Prentiss Morel Oakley. [98]

    On May 21, the four posse members from Texas were in Shreveport when they learned that Barrow and Parker were planning a visit to Bienville Parish that evening with Methvin. The full posse set up an ambush along Louisiana State Highway 154 south of Gibsland toward Sailes. Hinton recounted that their group was in place by 9 pm, and waited through the whole of the next day (May 22) with no sign of the perpetrators. [99] Other accounts said that the officers set up on the evening of May 22. [100]

    At approximately 9:15 am on May 23, the posse were still concealed in the bushes and almost ready to give up when they heard the Ford V8 Barrow was driving approaching at high speed. In their official report, they stated they had persuaded Ivy Methvin to position his truck along the shoulder of the road that morning. They hoped Barrow would stop to speak with him, putting his vehicle close to the posse's position in the bushes. When Barrow fell into the trap, the lawmen opened fire while the vehicle was still moving. Oakley fired first, probably before any order to do so. [99] [101] [102] Barrow was killed instantly by Oakley's head shot, and Hinton reported hearing Parker scream. [99] The officers fired about 130 rounds, emptying their weapons into the car. [ citation needed ] [103] Many of Bonnie and Clyde's wounds would have been fatal, yet the two had survived several bullet wounds over the years in their confrontations with the law. [104]

    The bullet-ridden Deluxe, originally owned by Ruth Warren of Topeka, Kansas, was later exhibited at carnivals and fairs then sold as a collector’s item in 1988, the Primm Valley Resort and Casino in Las Vegas purchased it for some $250,000. Barrow’s enthusiasm for cars was evident in a letter he wrote earlier in the spring of 1934, addressed to Henry Ford himself: “While I still have got breath in my lungs I will tell you what a dandy car you make. I have drove Fords exclusively when I could get away with one. For sustained speed and freedom from trouble the Ford has got every other car skinned and even if my business hasn’t been strictly legal it don’t hurt anything to tell you what a fine car you got in the V-8.”

    According to statements made by Hinton and Alcorn:

    Each of us six officers had a shotgun and an automatic rifle and pistols. We opened fire with the automatic rifles. They were emptied before the car got even with us. Then we used shotguns. There was smoke coming from the car, and it looked like it was on fire. After shooting the shotguns, we emptied the pistols at the car, which had passed us and ran into a ditch about 50 yards on down the road. It almost turned over. We kept shooting at the car even after it stopped. We weren't taking any chances. [97]

    Actual film footage taken by one of the deputies immediately after the ambush show 112 bullet holes in the vehicle, of which around one quarter struck the couple. [105] The official coroner's report by parish coroner Dr. J. L. Wade listed seventeen entrance wounds on Barrow's body and twenty-six on that of Parker, [106] including several headshots on each, and one that had snapped Barrow's spinal column. Undertaker C.F. "Boots" Bailey had difficulty embalming the bodies because of all the bullet holes. [107]

    The deafened officers inspected the vehicle and discovered an arsenal of weapons, including stolen automatic rifles, sawed-off semi-automatic shotguns, assorted handguns, and several thousand rounds of ammunition, along with fifteen sets of license plates from various states. [103] Hamer stated: "I hate to bust the cap on a woman, especially when she was sitting down, however if it wouldn't have been her, it would have been us." [108] Word of the deaths quickly got around when Hamer, Jordan, Oakley, and Hinton drove into town to telephone their respective bosses. A crowd soon gathered at the spot. Gault and Alcorn were left to guard the bodies, but they lost control of the jostling, curious throng one woman cut off bloody locks of Parker's hair and pieces from her dress, which were subsequently sold as souvenirs. Hinton returned to find a man trying to cut off Barrow's trigger finger, and was sickened by what was occurring. [99] Arriving at the scene, the coroner reported:

    Nearly everyone had begun collecting souvenirs such as shell casings, slivers of glass from the shattered car windows, and bloody pieces of clothing from the garments of Bonnie and Clyde. One eager man had opened his pocket knife, and was reaching into the car to cut off Clyde's left ear. [109]

    Hinton enlisted Hamer's help in controlling the "circus-like atmosphere" and they got people away from the car. [109]

    The posse towed the Ford, with the dead bodies still inside, to the Conger Furniture Store & Funeral Parlor in downtown Arcadia, Louisiana. Preliminary embalming was done by Bailey in a small preparation room in the back of the furniture store, as it was common for furniture stores and undertakers to share the same space. [110] The population of the northwest Louisiana town reportedly swelled from 2,000 to 12,000 within hours. Curious throngs arrived by train, horseback, buggy, and plane. Beer normally sold for 15 cents a bottle but it jumped to 25 cents, and sandwiches quickly sold out. [111] Barrow had been shot in the head by a .35 Remington Model 8. Henry Barrow identified his son's body, then sat weeping in a rocking chair in the furniture section. [110]

    H.D. Darby was an undertaker at the McClure Funeral Parlor and Sophia Stone was a home demonstration agent, both from nearby Ruston. Both of them came to Arcadia to identify the bodies [110] because the Barrow gang had kidnapped them [112] in 1933. Parker reportedly had laughed when she discovered that Darby was an undertaker. She remarked that maybe someday he would be working on her [110] Darby did assist Bailey in the embalming. [110]

    Funeral and burial Edit

    Bonnie and Clyde wished to be buried side by side, but the Parker family would not allow it. Her mother wanted to grant her final wish to be brought home, but the mobs surrounding the Parker house made that impossible. [113] More than 20,000 attended Parker's funeral, and her family had difficulty reaching her gravesite. [113] Parker's services were held on May 26. [110] Dr. Allen Campbell recalled that flowers came from everywhere, including some with cards allegedly from Pretty Boy Floyd and John Dillinger. [110] The largest floral tribute was sent by a group of Dallas city newsboys the sudden end of Bonnie and Clyde sold 500,000 newspapers in Dallas alone. [114] Parker was buried in the Fishtrap Cemetery, although she was moved in 1945 to the new Crown Hill Cemetery in Dallas. [110]

    Thousands of people gathered outside both Dallas funeral homes, hoping for a chance to view the bodies. Barrow's private funeral was held at sunset on May 25. [110] He was buried in Western Heights Cemetery in Dallas, next to his brother Marvin. The Barrow brothers share a single granite marker with their names on it and an epitaph selected by Clyde: "Gone but not forgotten." [115]

    The bullet-riddled Ford and the shirt that Barrow was wearing have been in the casino of Whiskey Pete's in Primm, Nevada since 2011 previously, they were on display at the Primm Valley Resort and Casino. [116] The American National Insurance Company of Galveston, Texas paid the insurance policies in full on Barrow and Parker. Since then, the policy of payouts has changed to exclude payouts in cases of deaths caused by any criminal act by the insured. [117]

    The six men of the posse were each to receive a one-sixth share of the reward money, and Dallas Sheriff Schmid had promised Hinton that this would total some $26,000, [118] but most of the organizations that had pledged reward funds suddenly reneged on their pledges. In the end, each lawman earned $200.23 for his efforts and collected memorabilia. [119]

    By the summer of 1934, new federal statutes made bank robbery and kidnapping federal offenses. The growing coordination of local authorities by the FBI, plus two-way radios in police cars, combined to make it more difficult to carry out series of robberies and murders than it had been just months before. Two months after Gibsland, Dillinger was killed on the street in Chicago three months after that, Floyd was killed in Ohio and one month after that, Baby Face Nelson was killed in Illinois. [120]

    Parker's niece and last surviving relative is campaigning to have her aunt buried next to Barrow. [121] [122]

    The members of the posse came from three organizations: Hamer and Gault were both former Texas Rangers then working for the Texas Department of Corrections (DOC), Hinton and Alcorn were employees of the Dallas Sheriff's office, and Jordan and Oakley were Sheriff and Deputy of Bienville Parish, Louisiana. The three duos distrusted one another and kept to themselves, [123] and each had its own agenda in the operation and offered differing narratives of it. Simmons, the head of the Texas DOC, brought another perspective, having effectively commissioned the posse.

    Schmid had tried to arrest Barrow in Sowers, Texas in November 1933. Schmid called "Halt!" and gunfire erupted from the outlaw car, which made a quick U-turn and sped away. Schmid's Thompson submachine gun jammed on the first round, and he could not get off one shot. Pursuit of Barrow was impossible because the posse had parked their own cars at a distance to prevent their being seen. [76]

    Hamer's posse discussed calling "halt" but the four Texans "vetoed the idea", [124] telling them that the killers' history had always been to shoot their way out, [101] as had occurred in Platte City, Dexfield Park, and Sowers. [125] When the ambush occurred, Oakley stood up and opened fire, and the other officers opened fire immediately after. [101] Jordan was reported to have called out to Barrow [126] Alcorn said that Hamer called out [127] and Hinton claimed that Alcorn did. [99] In another report, each said that they both did. [128] These conflicting claims might have been collegial attempts to divert the focus from Oakley, who later admitted firing too early, but that is merely speculation. [129] In 1979, Hinton's account of the saga was published posthumously as Ambush: The Real Story of Bonnie and Clyde. [130] His version of the Methvin family's involvement in the planning and execution of the ambush was that the posse had tied Methvin's father Ivy to a tree the previous night to keep him from warning off the couple. [99] Hinton claimed that Hamer made a deal with Ivy: if he kept quiet about being tied up, his son would escape prosecution for the two Grapevine murders. [99] Hinton alleged that Hamer made every member of the posse swear that they would never divulge this secret.

    Other accounts, however, place Ivy at the center of the action, not tied up but on the road, waving for Barrow to stop. [92] [131] Hinton's memoir suggests that Parker's cigar in the famous "cigar photo" had been a rose, and that it was retouched as a cigar by darkroom staff at the Joplin Globe while they prepared the photo for publication. [132] [notes 14] Guinn says that some people who knew Hinton suspect that "he became delusional late in life". [133]

    The posse never received the promised bounty on the perpetrators, so they were told to take whatever they wanted from the confiscated items in their car. Hamer appropriated the arsenal [134] of stolen guns and ammunition, plus a box of fishing tackle, under the terms of his compensation package with the Texas DOC. [notes 15] In July, Clyde's mother Cumie wrote to Hamer asking for the return of the guns: "You don't never want to forget my boy was never tried in no court for murder, and no one is guilty until proven guilty by some court so I hope you will answer this letter and also return the guns I am asking for." [135] There is no record of any response. [135]

    Alcorn claimed Barrow's saxophone from the car, but he later returned it to the Barrow family. [136] Posse members also took other personal items, such as Parker's clothing. The Parker family asked for them back but were refused, [103] [137] and the items were later sold as souvenirs. [138] The Barrow family claimed that Sheriff Jordan kept an alleged suitcase of cash, and writer Jeff Guinn claims that Jordan bought a "barn and land in Arcadia" soon after the event, thereby hinting that the accusation had merit, despite the complete absence of any evidence to the existence of such a suitcase. [136] Jordan did attempt to keep the death car for his own, but Ruth Warren of Topeka, Kansas sued him because she was the owner of the car when Barrow stole it on April 29 [139] Jordan returned it to her in August 1934, still covered with blood and human tissue. [140] [notes 16] [141]

    In February 1935, Dallas and federal authorities arrested and tried twenty family members and friends for aiding and abetting Barrow and Parker. This became known as the "harboring trial" and all twenty either pleaded guilty or were found guilty. The two mothers were jailed for thirty days other sentences ranged from two years' imprisonment (for Floyd Hamilton, brother of Raymond) to one hour in custody (for Barrow's teenage sister Marie). [142] Other defendants included Blanche, Jones, Methvin, and Parker's sister Billie.

    Blanche was permanently blinded in her left eye during the 1933 shootout at Dexfield Park. She was taken into custody on the charge of "assault with intent to kill". She was convicted and sentenced to ten years in prison, but was paroled in 1939 for good behavior. She returned to Dallas, leaving her life of crime in the past, and lived with her invalid father as his caregiver. In 1940, she married Eddie Frasure, worked as a taxi cab dispatcher and a beautician, and completed the terms of her parole one year later. She lived in peace with her husband until he died of cancer in 1969. Warren Beatty approached her to purchase the rights to her name for use in the 1967 film Bonnie and Clyde, and she agreed to the original script. However, she objected to her characterization by Estelle Parsons in the final film, describing the actress's Academy Award-winning portrayal of her as "a screaming horse's ass". Despite this, she maintained a firm friendship with Beatty. She died from cancer at age 77 on December 24, 1988, and was buried in Dallas's Grove Hill Memorial Park under the name "Blanche B. Frasure". [143]

    Barrow cohorts Hamilton and Palmer, who escaped Eastham in January 1934, were recaptured. Both were convicted of murder and executed in the electric chair at Huntsville, Texas on May 10, 1935. [144] Jones had left Barrow and Parker, six weeks after the three of them evaded officers at Dexfield Park in July 1933. [145] He reached Houston and got a job picking cotton, where he was soon discovered and captured. He was returned to Dallas, where he dictated a "confession" in which he claimed to have been kept a prisoner by Barrow and Parker. Some of the more lurid lies that he told concerned the gang's sex lives, and this testimony gave rise to many stories about Barrow's ambiguous sexuality. [146] Jones was convicted of the murder of Doyle Johnson and served a lenient sentence of fifteen years. He gave an interview to Playboy magazine during the excitement surrounding the 1967 movie, saying that in reality it had not been glamorous. [147] He was killed on August 4, 1974 in a misunderstanding by the jealous boyfriend of a woman whom he was trying to help. [148]

    Methvin was convicted in Oklahoma of the 1934 murder of Constable Campbell at Commerce. He was paroled in 1942 and killed by a train in 1948. He fell asleep drunk on the train tracks, although some have speculated that he was pushed by someone seeking revenge. [149] His father Ivy was killed in 1946 by a hit-and-run driver. [150] Parker's husband Roy Thornton was sentenced to five years in prison for burglary in March 1933. He was killed by guards on October 3, 1937 during an escape attempt from Eastham prison. [11]

    Prentiss Oakley admitted to friends that he had fired prematurely. [129] He succeeded Henderson Jordan as sheriff of Bienville Parish in 1940. [129]

    Hamer returned to a quiet life as a freelance security consultant for oil companies. According to Guinn, "his reputation suffered somewhat after Gibsland" [151] because many people felt that he had not given Barrow and Parker a fair chance to surrender. He made headlines again in 1948 when he and Governor Coke Stevenson unsuccessfully challenged the vote total achieved by Lyndon Johnson during the election for the U.S. Senate. He died in 1955 at the age of 71, after several years of poor health. [152] Bob Alcorn died on May 23, 1964, 30 years to the day after the Gibsland ambush. [150]

    The bullet-riddled Ford became a popular traveling attraction. The car was displayed at fairs, amusement parks, and flea markets for three decades, and once became a fixture at a Nevada race track. There was a charge of one dollar to sit in it. The Ford was sold between casinos after being displayed in a Las Vegas car museum in the 1980s it was shown in Iowa, Missouri, and Nevada. Since 2011, the Ford has been on display at Whiskey Pete's, a hotel and casino in Primm, Nevada, near the border between California and Nevada, alongside Interstate 15. [153]

    Texas Rangers, troopers, and DPS (Department of Public Safety) [ clarification needed ] staff honored patrolman Edward Bryan Wheeler on April 1, 2011, the 77th anniversary of the Grapevine murders, when the Barrow gang murdered Wheeler on Easter Sunday. They presented the Yellow Rose of Texas commendation to his last surviving sibling, 95-year old Ella Wheeler-McLeod of San Antonio, giving her a plaque and framed portrait of her brother. [154]

    Films Edit

    Hollywood has treated the story of Bonnie and Clyde several times, most notably:

    File:U.S. Navy reserve ships at the Bayonne Naval Supply Depot, 15 April 1953 (80-G-480262).jpg

    The two large ships at right on the near side of the peninsula are Alaska (CB-1) and Guam (CB-2).
    The next two ships astern are North Carolina (BB-55) and Washington (BB-56). Further astern are (from outboard to inboard) Fargo (CL-106), Albemarle (AV-5) and Wakefield (AP-21). The carriers Enterprise (CV-6) and Franklin (CV-13) are at the far left.

    Also present are the escort carriers Card (CVE-11), Croatan (CVE-25), Mission Bay (CVE-59), and Guadalcanal (CVE-60) along with the cruisers Providence (CL-82), Little Rock (CL-92), Spokane (CLAA-120) and Fresno (CLAA-121). One of the two CLAAs is tied up outboard of the Alaskas.

    USS Fargo (CL-106) - History

    A great part of naval history.

    You would be purchasing an exact copy of the USS Fargo CL 106cruise book during this time period. Each page has been placed on a CD for years of enjoyable computer viewing. The CD comes in a plastic sleeve with a custom label. Every page has been enhanced and is readable. Rare cruise books like this sell for a hundred dollars or more when buying the actual hard copy if you can find one for sale.

    This would make a great gift for yourself or someone you know who may have served aboard her. Usually only ONE person in the family has the original book. The CD makes it possible for other family members to have a copy also. You will not be disappointed we guarantee it.

    Some of the items in this book are as follows:

    • Divisional Group Photos
    • Some Ports of Call: Porto di Trieste, Venezia, Oran , Sicily , Napoli, Istanbul , Suda Bay , Riviera Villeftanche, Monte Carlo , Gibraltar .
    • Many Crew Activity Photos
    • Change of Command Ceremony
    • Decommissioning the Ship
    • Cruise Itinery showing Port, Arrival and Departure Dates.
    • Plus Much More

    Over 222 Photos on Approximately 118 Pages.

    Once you view this book you will know what life was like on this Cruiser during this time period.

    USS Fargo (CL-106) - History

    News & Events View All

    • Northwest Grooming Show
      July 8-11th 2021
      The Northwest Grooming show is held in Tacoma, WA at the Hotel Murano. We look forward to seeing you in.
      Read More>>
    • PetQuest
      June 17-20th 2021
      Pet Quest is a grooming show held in Wilmington, OH at the Roberts Centre Holiday Inn. Groomers Mall, Pet-Agree, Pet.
      Read More>>
    • Atlanta Pet Fair
      June 24-27th 2021
      The Atlanta Pet Fair will be held in College Park, GA at the Georgia International Convention Center. Frank Rowe &.
      Read More>>
    • Intergroom
      October 21-24th 2021
      Intergroom will be held in Secaucus, NJ at the Meadowlands Exposition Center. It is a pet grooming show put on.
      Read More>>
    • Groom Expo West
      July 22-25th 2021
      Groom Expo West will be held in Pasadena, CA. We will have Ryan’s Pet Supplies at the show and they.
      Read More>>

    Electric Cleaner Company designs and builds durable equipment to offer a long service life.

    These units are the world’s most powerful portable vacuum and blowers of their kind. These machines are sold all over the united States and exported worldwide. Ease of operation and reducing grooming time are other features of the units.

    The average length of service by manufacturing and assembly employees is 15 years. They are experienced and care about the quality of their work.

    The company feels strongly about the design and construction of these units perfected with over thirty years of experience in design / production of grooming equipment. Should you experience a problem with equipment, return the unit promptly and we’ll repair it.
    Please contact one of our dealers or call the factory direct at (800) 456-9821 for assistance with parts or repairs.

    USS Fargo (CL-106) - History

    A BIT OF HISTORY : ". VCS History ". The attached two (2) part "Toughest Landings" item, was published (date unknown) as a "Tale Winds" article, in the "Wings of Gold" publication. This item has been provided by the WWII Navy Scouting Squadrons Association, 609 Tranquilla Drive, Savannah, Georgia, USA, 31419-1731, courtesy of Mr. Doug Anthony US Navy Battleship "VO" Squadrons circa 01 September 1939 - " Contributed by EASTMAN, Jack G. [26MAY2005]

    Observation Squadron One (VO-1), Battleship Division One/SOC-3
    USS Nevada (BB-36): Observation Squadron One (VO-1)/SOC-3
    USS Pennsylvania (BB-38): Observation Squadron One (VO-1)/SOC-3
    USS Arizona (BB-39): Observation Squadron One (VO-1)/SOC-3

    Observation Squadron Two (VO-2), Battleship Division Two/SOC-3
    USS Oklahoma (BB-37): Observation Squadron Two (VO-2)/SOC-3
    USS Tennessee (BB-43): Observation Squadron Two (VO-2)/SOC-3
    USS California (BB-44): Observation Squadron Two (VO-2)/SOC-3

    Observation Squadron Three (VO-3), Battleship Division Three/SOC3 & SON-1
    USS New Mexico (BB-40): Observation Squadron Three (VO-3)/SOC-3
    USS Mississippi (BB-41): Observation Squadron Three (VO-3)/SON-1
    USS Idaho (BB-42): Observation Squadron Three (VO-3)/SOC-3

    Observation Squadron Four (VO-4), Battleship Division Four/SOC-3 & SON-1
    USS Colorado (BB-45): Observation Squadron Four (VO-4)/SOC-3 & SON-1
    USS Maryland (BB-46): Observation Squadron Four (VO-4)/SOC-3
    USS West Virginia (BB-48): Observation Squadron Four (VO-4)/SOC-3

    A BIT OF HISTORY : VO-2 History ". VO-2 aboard USS Nevada BB-36, circa 1925 - This photo was taken after my father graduated from flight school in Pensacola in mid-1925, upon returning to the fleet. The only names are: Back Row, 3rd from left, Lt. George Seitz, 4th, LtJg. W.K. Berner, 5th, CPO Ludika. The aircraft, I assume, is a Vought UO-1. " Contributed by BERNER, Warren K. Jr. [06JAN2006]

    A BIT OF HISTORY : ". The following data is extracted from the publication titled: "Battleship & Cruiser Aircraft of the United States Navy 1910-1949", by William T. Larkins. Advice and direction to that data was given to me by Mr. A. L. Perry, a pilot who flew off the USS Bremerton CA-130, ca 1945/46. This data has been forwarded for inclusion in the WWII Navy Scouting Squadrons Association's archives, by Jack G. Eastman " [19OCT2005]

    Watch the video: Warship Craft USS Fargo tutorial (September 2022).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos